Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Spiritual Makeover: Part 1

In his book, "Have a New Husband By Friday," author Kevin Leman supposedly shows women how making a few changes in their attitude, behavior, and communication style can revolutionize their marriages and bring out the very best in their husbands. I love the catchy title and I'm sure many have purchased his book with good intentions but the skeptic in me doubts that's possible. My husbands has WAAAY too many problems to fix by Friday!

Seriously, though, the author couldn't be more right. If I want a better marriage or a better mate, I have to allow the Holy Spirit to fix me first. The only person I can truly change is myself and even that is a tough task without the aid of the Holy Spirit.

In need of a makeover? Consider this from 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV): "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" I am so comforted by the fact that Christ has made me anew through His death, burial and resurrection. Through the Holy Spirit, I am enabled to live a victorious life and have a God-honoring marriage.

The transformation begins by renewing our minds (Romans 12:2) and then changing our behaviors. We must purpose in our hearts to love unselfishly and give wholly of ourselves whether our spouse has earned it or not.

It's Marriage Monday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment